Sunday, June 3, 2012

My page...

I will be using this blog to deal with issues that are important to me..

Tonight, I will be addressing a problem that is really bothering me. Most of my friends know that I lost my job over a year ago. Most also know that I deal with some health issues that have made it very difficult to find work. I have been looking for a job, but in the meantime, my family has struggled to stay afloat. (This is not the issue!) When I lost my job, I lost my insurance. Without it, my medical costs are a major expense. I have applied for help through the Texas Health and Human Services for medicaid. Here's where the problem begins.

I have been denied assistance because...according to medicaid, I don't qualify because of finances. When I asked what was counted as income, I was told that ALL dollars count, which means your gross income (who here lives on gross income?), and any child support you might receive. (Last time I checked, child support is support for the CHILD, not for my own use). To add insult to injury on that point, if you have your child support through the attorney general's office, your support is taxed before you receive it (so you don't get your full amount).

When I asked if there were any other options for me, I was told I'd have to apply for a gold card through the hospital district. Two problems with that idea.... 1) It's at least twenty miles to the nearest clinic (I don't drive very far by myself right now) and 2) I'd have to change my doctors (with my health issues, NOT going to happen!)

I can't help but wonder what has happened to assistance programs for Texans. I find it incredible that unless you're living out of a box or are willing to lie to the agencies, it is practically impossible to get help. According to what I was told, for a family of three to qualify for adult medicaid, they cannot exceed $275 a MONTH!! (Yes, you read it correctly). I just can't figure out how people like me, who are lucky enough to have a spouse that makes enough to pay our bills, is able to get any type of help.

What has happened to this country that it's citizens are reduced to this?

No comments: